Welcome to Sea Hugger!
We are a nonprofit organization focused on protecting the marine environment from plastic pollution. We do this by:
- Encouraging people to stop using single-use plastic and providing alternatives.
- Educating the public about the dangers of single-use-plastic by speaking with schools and community groups. We focus on kids in hopes that they will become future conservationists.
- Persuading corporations, restaurants, and businesses to reduce the amount of plastic in their products and packaging.
- Funding private recycling programs in coastal areas of the world with severe plastic pollution and no viable recycling programs.
- Sponsoring monthly beach cleanups and collaborating with other groups that are working to solve this issue.
We raise money through the sale of our single-use-plastic alternatives, which you can find in our Store, and through Donations. All proceeds support our recycling and education programs - please consider supporting Sea Hugger.
Are you a Sea Hugger? Join our movement!
Did you know?
The ocean is vitally important to the health of our planet and protecting it should be our highest priority!
Meet our recycling partner, Litter 4 Tokens, based in South Africa. They have created a unique recycling program that not only protects the environment, it benefits the participants of these disadvantaged communities by providing them with food, clothing, and other much-needed household items in exchange for the trash they collect. Litter4Tokens was launched in 2015 by Clare Swithenbank-Bowman at one school in Ballito, South Africa. It has since grown to six schools, and we plan to help Litter4Tokens expand to other needy cities in South Africa.
This program is proving to be a huge benefit for the participants. It improves their quality of life through the sale of the recyclables they collect, beautifies their community, prevents the plastic from entering the ocean ecosystem, and teaches them to protect the environment.